Thank you for taking the time to visit; enjoy the posts...

Elium

THE CROSSING OF ELIUM

   From the sea port of Kathos, a fisherman name E-li-um came out of a horrific storm at sea unharmed.  He told the town's people, "For twenty years or more I have cast my nets and always been more blessed than most, and always have I shared the bounty with all.  But I tell you now in no uncertain terms never again shall I return to that cold mistress for I am done with her I tell you, done!  I alone have just barely survived the worst of the worst storms to happen upon men.  I drifted ashore to tell the tale of thirty lost souls!"
   The wives of the lost men wailed at the news and drew their babes in arms closer as his words made them all widows and orphan in a single breath.  After the soaked wretch had been dried and fed and his story retold some more, a man asked, "Elium, where does a fisherman the likes of you go when they no longer fish or sail?
   Somberly he answered, "To the city and become lost in her sea of people himself."

   The day Elium arrived at the southern gate of Mithar the market chaos had just been closed to outsiders.  For those not initiated into her Tower cult were not allowed re-entrance once they were shut out.  Elium was no Mitharian, and he smelled of Kathosian fish.  Yet the tent dwellers of Slavath welcomed the stranger as one of their own and took piety after hearing his tale of shipwrecked woes.
   At dusk Elium sat amid a group of men encircling a campfire while eating a meal.  Now, beyond the fire light Elium saw the figure of Diacal, the Captain of his lost ship.  At once Elium jumped to feet with glee in seeing him.  Running about to converse he found the Captain was no where to be found nor even in the whole of the village in which Elium searched.  Throughout the long night he sought the visage of his sea companion with no fruit from his efforts and in exhaustion collapsed upon a bed of pelts.
   At daybreak the sole of Elium's feet were being kicked.  He was awakened by Captain Diacal, "Get up fool of a man and go into the city.  Seek out one named Ma-drew of the Third House, for he has great need in meeting you."  When Elium arose and gathered his thoughts, again he saw his Captain was no where to be found.

   At the hour the market gates were open Elium of Kathos inquired as to where the Third House was located.  Coming to the tower of Varlendur, he knocked upon the door of the third House of Learning, "I was -- instructed -- to find out a man called Madrew."
   "I am Madrew and most blessed in meeting you my lord, Elium of Kathos!"
   "I am no lord, just a lowly fisherman who lost all his companions at sea. The shadowed specter of my Captain commanded me to find you.  How is it you know my name?"
   "I told the Lord of the Dead that I lost my faith in the Tower's Brotherhood.  Then an angel came to me in a dream, and said you would seek me out.  Now I know for certain that God alone answers prayers.  Upon having done so, I am to answer yours in return by sending you on the quest of what you seek."
   "What is it I seek?"
   "To answer that you must go to the Cave of Marrow.  Along the northern side of Kinderval's forest, on the southern side of the Blue Mountains you will see the cave's opening on the third peak.  There on the third day Ha-thuk will find you."
   "Hatuk?"
   "The One Who Answers.  It was he who told me of you."


............................

WHEN he returns home his ship mates are waiting for him in an inn called The Singing Quail, except the Captain whose body washed ashore, and Elium was thought to have been lost at sea.
 


 



.....

No comments:

Post a Comment


FACEBOOK