Thank you for taking the time to visit; enjoy the posts...

WORD: Gaslighting

"They are gaslighting with my head," Matthew said, "and I'm not crazy that's just how they want me to feel, but it's not working; yet." 
~THE CURE CRISIS~
David DeLane Snow

gaslight

  
 GAS-lahyt  , verb;  
 
1.
to cause (a person) to doubt his or her sanity through the use of psychological manipulation: How doyou know if your partner is gaslighting you?
noun:
1.
light produced by the combustion of illuminating gas.
2.
a gas burner or gas jet for producing this kind of light.
adjective:
1.
gaslit ( def 2 ).
Quotes:
"My feeling is that he, Gable, and whoever else in this have been trying to gaslight  the president.""Why would anyone want to make my husband think he's lost his mind?"
-- Jeff Rovin, Divide and Conquer: Tom Clancy's Op-Center 2000
If Howard was more energetic and imaginative, I would suspect him of an elaborate plot to gaslight me.
-- Katharine Weber, True Confections 2010
Origin:
Gaslight  comes from a 1944 film of the same name in which a husband secretely and repeatedly dimsand brightens the gaslights in the house while accusing his wife of imaginging the flickering. This moviewas based on a play by Patrick Hamilton. The verb entered English in the mid-1900s.
MOVIE: Gaslighting

No comments:

Post a Comment


FACEBOOK