Thank you for taking the time to visit; enjoy the posts...

THE WATCHER'S BOOK: Kyon

   
( Click to enlarge picture )

In the city of Lindol there was a widow named Mena, a devout follower of the Goddess Yevanna. Mena devoutly burned incense in her temple daily, never forgetting to mention her husband who had been lost at sea.

   One day as Mena was working in her garden a stranger happened to venture by. The stranger approached and said, "Woman, give me a bowl of soup made fresh from your garden, as The Creator Illuva's servant asks and you shall be blessed beyond measure this very day."
   The old woman said, "I do not even know your name, why must you so compel me to do such a thing? *sigh* Nonetheless, it shall be done." Straight away Mena gathered and prepared the meal. It proved to be the last of what she had in store.Without a spoken word that it was the last of her own food she smilingly offered it to the stranger at her table.
   The young man ate his fill leaving nothing to remain behind, got up and turned to leave in silence. As he did so the woman called after him, "May Illuva richly bless you instead!"
   With that the stranger turned back around and replied, "I am Kyon the only son of Nadan the Prophet. Behold, as I said before - here comes your reward beyond measure my dear Lady." Kyon Omdan then walked down the eastern road without passing any one.
   Seeing nothing unusal occur Mena returned to cleaning up her kitchen after the stranger when shortly there came a knock at the door again.
Upon opening the door her eyes filled with tears and she burst into laughter jumping to embrace her husband who stood there.
   A moment later he confessed an amazing tale. "I was lost at sea," He began, "for three weeks we drifted beyond the rim of the world. Many a day I feared sight of The Undying Lands, and ever was your name and face in my thoughts beloved wife.
   "Washed finally ashore, shipwrecked near the Port of Kathos was I found and thought dead. I was taken in and nursed to health again by a couple much younger than I.
   "For two weeks the merchant of Kathos gave me apprenticeship as a Copper-smith as I had no memory of who I was, but learned the craft quickly. Two months after I had been washed ashore, Japheth of Lindol ventured to that port city to buy his wares. In doing so he certainty recognized me of who I rightly was, and in that moment my true memory returned; as a flash of lightening in the night.
   "Being fully restored, my love, have I returned begging your forgiveness of my long absence and thinking me perished in death. I pray also that you would return with me for there I have a house grander than this one, a shop of my own and food beyond measure!" His fine clothes and offering of a coin purse was proof enough of his tale unto her.
   In reply she said through her tears, "Nolshek, all I have ever wanted was your safe return to my arms. Everything after that is a blessing in itself."

   AS Kyon journeyed down the road leaving Men's tiny home three ruffians threatened to waylay him. He asked, "Why do you seek to do me harm for I am as a stranger to you?"
   "It is for that very reason, that you are a stranger in these parts that we have no fear of a boy the like of you," said the first club welding highway man. The other two laughed and drew their own blades.
   Kyon said without hesitation or fear, "I have no coin to steal, no fine robe to take nor walking stick to claim as your own, and yet you would strive to take my very life for sport."
   The two jested in turn, "Yes, it is well known only Fools travel this road at dusk just because of the likes of us!"
But Kyon only stood his ground saying, "Such a pity you have allowed yourselves to see Kyon the only son of Nadan for the final time." Then Kyon waved his hand before them. In a panic the two men dropped their knives and began clasping their eyes screaming loudly, "I can not see!" "You fool, how did you blind me?"
   The third man, dropping his club fell to knees begging for mercy instead, "Forgive me Master! Do not curse me as well! I was banished into being a begger and fell among men of poor morals in hard times. Take mercy on me my lord, I beg you!"
   Kyon said, "Mercy indeed. Go, and tell everyone what you have seen. The very day in which you stop sharing such amazing news of kindness shall prove to be the very day you shall surely be stricken as blind as them! For some blind men are never healed of their blackened hearts."

   ONE day Kyon, the only son of the Prophet Nadan sat in the market square of Lindol, on the rim of a drawing well. A woman came to fetch water for her family's needs. Kyon said to her, "Daughter, for kindness sake give me a fresh drink from your pale, and your second shall see you greatly rewarded by Illuva himself!"
   After she gave Kyon a drink, she asked with a laugh, "Shall I now draw again to find gold coins?"
   Kyon answered, "Love is far more precious a thing maiden, more than all the coins this well could ever hold." With that he rose and left.
   About this time a warrior on a great horse dismounted his heavily clad stead, and removing his helm knelt before the young milk maid saying, "I am CaLos of Uruk, from the fourth House of Calabrosh. I have finished many tasks this day and rode far to meet the King of Mithar on urgent business. I came to LIndol for my personal sake. Please, I beg you to hear me out."
   Startled she almost rose to leave but stayed, as the young prince continued, "Be my bride, and I shall be the happiest man of all Eriduah. I have inherited great wealth from my father, and for three years thought it folly to search for the face that captivated all my nightly dreams. This very day I gave up in searching; yet have I found you at last. For Kyon, the only son of the prophet Nadan, told me such a thing would happen three years ago!"
   In amazement the soiled face girl said before the gathering crowd, "How can I leave my father's home, break my mother's heart and abandon my seven brother alone; even if you are some far away prince?"
   He smiled broadly, "They may come as well my sweet, if only you would make me as happy as I am in this very moment for the rest of my life. Surely I would rather bestow of my wealth upon your father's household just to have your hand in mine."


   By this time her family was among the crying crowd smiling, as she unblinkingly said, "YES!" The next day Sandriel and CaLos were wed and they journeyed to Uruk from Lindol with great joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment


FACEBOOK