Thank you for taking the time to visit; enjoy the posts...

Legacy Box

After living up here in Dallas, for going on three years now, I've finally located the burial plots of both sets of my grandparents; it was a Long Now moment for me. Which got me to thinking about my own mortality, and history. My life seems to be repleat with lessons learned, and examples set. Looking back on things I've often wondered what I will be leaving behind as a legacy for my grand-daughter, her children, and those who follow her.

Then the idea of making a time capsule - of sorts - struck me. My wife and I went out and bought a really nice decorative box; to be filled with momentoes. We're all going to write personal letters of importance, and our desired hopes for Savannah. The chest will be wraped up in a sealed box, hidden away - up in our colset - and (hopefully) remembered in time for Savannah's 20th birthday.

The box itself will be a special gift, but its contents of: personal letters, a lock of her baby hair, and tokens of the time period she was born - will hopefully be an interesting milestone marker for her. As an adult, my wife and I have precious little reminders of our own parents, and grandparents.

I've come across very few individuals who know anything of their own family heiritage. Would it not be fasinating, in your own life, to come across such a treasure trove - either hidden away up in the attic, or gifted you at some important time in your life? Some token, resurfacing from the past, that shed even a glimering light on all the odd little stories you heard growing up?

2 comments:

  1. Falconmyst, I wanted to let you know that I read the comment you left at my blog. I had replied, but not knowing whether you had gone back to see if I had done so, I thought I'd reply here, as well.

    I hope you don't mind, but I’ve taken the liberty of copying and pasting your first chapter into my word processor and setting it up in proper manuscript format that I might get an idea of how much I have to read.

    For an "unbiased reveiw," as you asked for, a review of one chapter should suffice, providing you with all you need to know.

    I will need a means by which to send you my review. Should I send it to the email address noted in your blogger profile? Or would you prefer it be sent elsewhere?

    Please realise that this may take me a short bit, as I've projects of my own on which I'm working (two short stories and two novels), plus all the other things that come attached to a life.

    You've asked for an "unbiased review." I'll do my best to give you that, but if it's truly an unbiased review you want, it's possible (in fact, it’s very likely) that you'll get told things you may not want, or may not be willing, to hear. It depends on where you are as a writer and how open you are to learning the craft of fiction. Realise, also, that anything I say shall simply reflect my opinion of your chapter and not you as a person. Many writers find it hard to differentiate between the two.

    You should also know that I’m simply a writer. I’ve had about a dozen non-fiction articles published, but no fiction. The closest I’ve come to having any fiction published is to receive a handwritten note on a rejection slip. If you know anything about the writing industry, you’ll certainly know that editors are quite stingy with their handwritten notes. Most rejections are simply form letters. I’ve also had professionals (people who actually make their living either writing novels or editing periodicals) speak highly of my writing. I suppose what I’m trying to do here is not to boast, but to give you a generalised résumé of sorts, that you might know of the qualifications I bring to this review.

    I can do no more than to give you my opinion(s), based on what I know and have learned about writing fiction over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post, this recent V-day made me do exactly that, I just didn't digitize my thoughts or act on it practically. Having a small and pragmatic family hasn't helped over the years, but recent extensions (niece/nephew) and the fascinating similarities they bring to the surface surely enhanced the connection with my heiritage. Reminders and tokens are scarse, but stories can still be told. Gonna dig in.

    ReplyDelete


FACEBOOK