Thank you for taking the time to visit; enjoy the posts...

Back Then. . .


Before the long hair, tatoos, and laid-back attitude I've developed, I was once in the Military. Just before the 'Gulf War' Desert Storm broke out, many could have sworn a draft was on its way and World War III wasn't too far behind. So I decided to join the military on my own terms and do something I was already doing - the ministry. As a civilian I was a Layminister in the Southern Baptist Convention, in the Army Texas National Guard I was a Chaplain's Assistant,(MOS 71M).

I did Basic Training at Fort Sill, OK, AIT at Frort Monmouth, NJ, and my duty station was state side at the Corpus Christi National Guard HQ Armory. From 1990-98 this was my hairstyle, and attitude. My two year IRR (Individual Ready Reserve), and finally ETS (End Time in Service) came in '98 when I embraced everything that was just the oppisite.

My military experience was one of those many phases which I will always look back on with the fondness of no longer being there. Everyday was hitting the ground at a run, not really living in the moment because it wasn't yours. The 'friends' made were individuals I would have gladly died for and with; yet, over the years contact has faded and life's gone on. I am sure I have many more experiences yet to endure which will be just as fondly remembered.

Each new experience we face in life can be made more endurable, when we view them as lessons, preparing us for something bigger to come. I never, in a billion years, ever thought then I would ever be photoshoping and blogging of those experiences; I wonder what life holds ten years from now.

5 comments:

  1. Old pictures of faces in military garb always seem so comical, but they weren't, were they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh! I'd never have guessed ex-military.. lol

    Good for you! Well rounded..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fondness of no longer being there. I like how you put that. Enjoyed the pics. I like your driver's license photo, too. Very... America's Most Wanted.

    ReplyDelete


FACEBOOK