Thank you for taking the time to visit; enjoy the posts...

The Camera


I have an old camera. It use to belong to my wife's grandmother. I use to enjoy listening as she told stories from her childhood, and shared her families history. We have several such "family artifacts" about the house.

The old camera sits on a shelf, along with all the other eclectic nik nacks: model trains, nut cracker, bells, candles, glass chess set and the like. At one time many of these things were very much a part of daily life and handled without thought. The old camera's outter paperings have crumbled away leaving it inoperable as a photographic tool and now only remains a prized family heirloom, an object of wonder among the others scattered about the home.

About a year ago I noticed something really strange about the camera. When you look into the view finder the images are upsidedown. But the strange thing I noticed was't that, but what appeared in the window. . .

Sounds crazy, so I opened it up and inspected all its working parts and was fasinated by the shutter, hinges, retractable hood, focusing dials and all. Then again when I looked through the viewfinder, expecting without question to adjust the upsidedown image of the fireplace across the room - knowing there was no actual film inwhich to record the moment - I almost droped it putting it down of the table with a start.

Thinking my eyes were tired and mind playing tricks I returned the camera to its shelfed place of honor dismissing its image as a trick of light and shadows, and haven't touched it since. A few weeks ago I got a digital camera for my birthday and have enjoyed its many modren features, compact size, and sharp images. Then one day I noticed the old camera and thought of how its usefulness was no longer needed. It suddenly took on the personality of an old friend who had been forgotten and disreguarded.

I picked up the old camera again and peered through it yellow clouded, and very tiny window and again was shocked by what I saw.

My wife's grandmother.

The tiny, yellowish, upsidedown image of a grandmother who had not only passed away years ago, but saw images as if rolling film footage from her childhood. On a farm with animals scuring about, and her parents motioning to something out of frame...

A cold hollow panic griped my mind - I've never looked into that camera again.

5 comments:

  1. Scary.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to comment. Visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Falconmyst,

    That is a cool story - kind of Dorian Gray-ish. Please tell me you haven't tossed it?

    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thatks for visiting my site. I actually have several old camera's. I tend to collect old stuff my has passed down also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. an image in your eyes is upside-down too 'till your brain fixes it (of course, in this case, the image is right-side-up in your eyes)......perhaps this camera itself has become some sort of eye into the past--the grandmother's past since it was her camera. maybe it was showing you things it once saw (even when not taking pictures). the question would be why it's showing you that. i would peer in again unless you think it's of a negative persuasion. i didn't really mean to make a pun there but oh well.

    ReplyDelete


FACEBOOK